Sunday, May 12, 2013

PRESENT CONTINUOUS TENSE


      1.   The form of present continuous tense:
(+)
He, She, It
is
studying
English
right now


S
to be
Ving
O
time signal


I
am
studying
English
right now


S
to be
Ving
O
time signal


They, We, You
are
studying
English
right now


S
to be
Ving
O
time signal


(-)
He, She, It
is
not
studying
English
now

S
to be
not
Ving
O
time signal

I
am
not
studying
English
now

S
to be
not
Ving
O
time signal

They, We, You
are
not
studying
English
now

S
to be
not
Ving
O
time signal

(?)
Is
He, She, It
studying
English
right now
?


to be
S
Ving
O
time signal
?


Am
I
studying
English
right now
?


to be
S
Ving
O
time signal
?


Are
They, We, You
studying
English
right now
?


to be
S
Ving
O
time signal
?

*note: time signal yang menandai present continuous tense:
now = sekarang
right now = sekarang ini
at present = pada waktu ini,
at this moment = pada saat ini
today = hari ini
      this morning = pagi ini
      this weekend = akhir pekan ini
      soon = segera
      in a few weeks = dalam beberapa minggu


      2.   Function
a)    To talk about activities happening now
(untuk membicarakan suatu aksi yang sedang  terjadi sekarang)
·      I am studying  English now
·      They are playing chess right now
b)   To talk about activities happening in the near future, especially for planned future events.
(Untuk berbicara tentang kegiatan yang terjadi dalam waktu dekat, terutama untuk kejadian di masa depan yang direncanakan)
·      I am seeing my dentist on Wednesday
·      I’m spending my holiday on Kuta beach next month
Exercise!
A. Change the verb into the right form!
1.         My mother __________(stay)at our house this week.
2.         I __________(eat) my dinner right now.
3.         John __________ (read) a book now.
4.         Jack and Peter __________ (work) late today.
5.         Look! Maria __________ (sit) next to Paul.
B. Change the sentence above into the negative (number 1-3) and interrogative (2 and 3) form!

No comments:

Post a Comment